Lubaga Hospital
Lubaga Hospital
Nsambya Hospital

HEALTH DEPARTMENT:

Kampala Archdiocesan Health Department started in 1972, as one of the department of lay apostolate. Later the Synod of 1973 separated it into two new departments that is, social-economic and religious. Later on, it was divided into information, education, health and cooperatives. The Health department was tacked last because there was need to develop proper coordination between lower level units and hospitals. The first coordinators of this department were Fr. Cyprian Masembe, Fr. Paul Nsubuga, late Mrs. Bibiana Mujuzi. Mr. Joseph Sserwadda, Mrs. Regina Bakitte and currently it is being coordinated by Rev. Sr. M. Pauline Nayiga (IHMR).

Saving lives and improving the Health of people by strengthening Health Systems under the Archdiocese of Kampala are at the core of this Department’s Activities, which works alongside the technical arm of the Uganda Catholic Medical Bureau. It coordinates the work of 25 health facilities which include four hospitals that is to say, Nsambya, Lubaga, Kisubi and Nkozi.

Nsambya Hospital

Briefly, Nsambya Hospital which started as a clinic under a mango tree by the Servant of God Mother Kevin in 1903, to provide curative medical care and obstetrical care to mothers, is now a fully established referral hospital for Makindye division and to the country as a whole. This hospital has grown in size to a bed capacity of 375 inpatients inclusive of ICU and Dialysis services. It offers tertiary level health services in internal medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Paediatrics, Public Health, Radiology, Dental and Cancer Services. In addition to that, it trains Nurses and Midwives from certificate to Degreelevel, trains Medical Laboratory personnel and in conjunction with Uganda Martyrs University Nkozi, started a post graduate degree in medicine. Nsambya hospital operates within a population of 89,516 service area. It has modern infrastructures and it is planning to construct a state – of – the art private wing soon.

Lubaga Hospital

Lubaga Hospital: is the first Catholic medical unit in Uganda founded by the White sisters (Missionaries of Africa) in 1899. It was the site of the miracle in 1941, which led to the canonization of the Ugandan Martyrs in 1964 by Pope Paul VI. Lubaga hospital is one of the five big general referral hospitals in Kampala with a bed capacity 200. It offers the four major disciplines of internal medicine (Pediatrics, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology), Ophthalmology, Dentistry, Physiotherapy, ENT, Dermatology, Family medicine, Radiology and Diagnostic services. It trains Nurses, Midwives, Laboratory Personnel, and theatre assistants. It treats more than 125,658 patients every year. It has put up a number of infrastructures, e.g. a maternity ward and other renovations.

Kisubi Hospital

Kisubi Hospital: was also started by the White Sisters to treat people who were affected with sleeping sickness along the shores of Lake Victoria. Its bed capacity is 120. It offers Pediatrics, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology. It also offers ART care and treatment etc. It is constructing a new Out Patient Department and Administration block among other developments.

Nkozi Hospital

Nkozi Hospital is situated along the Equator in Mawokota South and it is the referral hospital in this region with a bed capacity of 100. It was started by the White Sisters and offers all the four major disciplines of internal medicine (Paediatrics, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology). It also offers ART care and treatment among others. Currently it is struggling to put up an Emergency and Accident ward being that it is located along Masaka high way; a road that has been affected by a great many accidents.

During the 1970s, the Health Department had six lower level units, i.e. Mitala Maria, Buyege, Katende, Kkonge, Lweza and Bulo. In the 1980s throughout the 90’s:Naddangira, Nswanjere, Kiziba, Ggoli, Nabbingo, Jinja Kaloli, Kamwokya, Muzinda- Katereke and Outreach Mbuya came into existence. In 2000s: Angellina –Namugongo, Benedict Medical Centre, Kijabijo, Kisenyi, Kitakyusa and Bwayiise were established. There are now 21 Lower Level Health Units and among these are; one level IV unit, Fourteen Level III units, and Six Level II Units. These health units are distributed in the four districts in which Kampala Archdiocese is situated (Kampala, Wakiso, Mpigi, and Butambala) offering health services to all the people.

On average these lower level units serve 300,000 and above patients annually. In 2013 the department in conjunction with IRCU, CRS and now USAID-Cardino Uganda started the project of Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) in Masuliita Kiziba Parish. This project has supported over 150 OVCs, of these 20 are supported with some school fees and scholastic materials. More than 20 OVCs graduated with vocational skills and currently 30 are undergoing training. Over 1110 have received medical care, trainings in income generating activities, psychosocial support, entrepreneurship skills among others.